Followers

Friday, June 2, 2017

Stars for the May Card Chain Challenge

I cannot believe it is already time for the May Card Chain Challenge reveal!   It is absolutely crazy how time just slips away from me.  Anyway, this month I used Stars from the Theme Options and Washi Tape from the Product/Technique Options.  Now, if you decide to play, you can use all four options, or just one; it's up to you!  If you would like to see all of the options, please take a peek at the Card Chain Challenge website.  While you are there, why not sign up for the June challenge; you have until June 7th (plus, you can check out what the upcoming colors, sketch and themes are for the whole year - just click here.) Here is the card I designed for this challenge:


What I Used to Make my Card:
Navy Blue Card Base
Alcohol Ink Panel
Metallic Mixatives in Silver
Verses Birthday Sentiment Stamp, Star Danced, BB0407-D
Silver Star Foil Washi Tape (Available Online)
Silver Paper & Silver Glitter Paper Punched Stars
White Embossing Powder, Detail, Simon Says Stamp

Before I get into how I made my card, I want to share the card I received all the way from Jo in England.  Please do check out her amazing creations by clicking here:
Isn't that card darling??

I sent my card off to Sara in MO, who shows her cards off, as well as her sister's cakes, on her Flicker page.

Now, on to the tutorial. I made the alcohol ink panel first. I always make a few 
8 1/5 x 11" sheets when I have my alcohol inks out; I find that I typically use MUCH more ink than I need to and having the extra sheets out & ready makes it easier to make more sheets and not waste so much ink. .  If you aren't familiar with alcohol inks, I have a sort of
Original on Left; Reworked on Right
"beginners guide" here.  Anyway, my goal here was to make a background that looked like nightfall for this card as well as one that looked like the ocean for another card.  As I show in this comparison photo, I originally made the night sky a bit too busy and too silvery.  So I inked up the applicator with some blue inks and blending solution and lightened the panel up. 


Originally I wanted to emboss the sentiment in silver, but when I tested it out on the alcohol ink background,  the sentiment wasn't readable. I really didn't want to put the sentiment on another piece of cardstock, so, I used detail white embossing powder from
Another Look


Simon Says Stamp. I embossed directly onto the alcohol ink panel.  I edged the long edges of the panel with the washi tape and then placed the stars I had punched out onto various places on the card.  


I can't get a good picture due to the background being so shiny.  I always have a blast when I'm making things using alcohol ink - the only thing I struggle with is actually coloring with it! I've said this before, but making one card a month is such an easy thing to do and I look forward to receiving my card all month long.  It is a very rewarding experience, so, go to the Card Chain Challenge page and sign up to play!  There is even an option to opt out of sending cards overseas if postage is an issue.  I hope you have enjoyed my card ~ Christi

I am entering my Stars card in the following challenges:
Di's Digi Stamps - Birthday
Brown Sugar - #253, Celebrations
4 Crafty Chicks - #353, Birthday
Outlaws Twisted Thursday - Anything Goes, Twist: Stars
Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge - Anything Goes
The Crazy Challenge - #249, Birthday

Where did I find all these fabulous challenges?!? At


7 comments:

  1. Wow, what a great effect you've achieved with this card, Christi! And how did you get your embossing soooo crisp??? I am having a total nightmare with my white embossing these days. Thanks for the shout out, I'm so glad you liked my card. I had great fun making it and may try a few more Origami makes as it was far easier than I thought it would be! Have a great weekend, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the rich blue in the background.
    Beautiful card.
    thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous card. Love the sentiment and it really pops in that crisp white, just gorgeous x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous colors, stars and sentiment on your CAS creation. Thank you so much for joining us this week for our birthday challenge. Your inspiration is simply fabulous!

    Tamie
    4 Crafty Chicks DT

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your starry card is so lush and sparkly.
    Thank you for joining us at Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge.
    Luv
    Debby

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice job blending this ... Love it.
    Thanks for sharing at Brown Sugar Challenge.
    Dawn (DT)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous card... Thanks for joining us at Di's Digi Challenge :)
    Wendy xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments! I read each and every one :)