Followers

Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Sympathy Card & The April CCC Reveal


** two posts today - if you are looking for Stinkin' Inkers, click here**

This April's Card Chain Challenge is a sad one.  My receiving partner had a loss in her family, so I wanted to make her a sweet and simple condolence card.  To do that, this month I followed the sketch:
The CCC Sketch I Used
And here is the card I created for her:



I hope my card brings her some comfort. At the very least, she knows I am thinking of her.  


What I Used to Make my Card:
White Card Base
Black Card Panel
White Cardstock
Unity Stamp Peace, Courage & Memories sentiment, GKD-004A
Darice Embossing Folder, Vine Pattern, #1219-136
Spellbinders Nestabilities Labels Forty-One (on sale for $4.49!!)
Simon Says Stamp Detail White Embossing Powder
Embossing Fluid
Die-Versions Whispers Stitched Nesting Squares, #DV-572 (for fishtail)
White Resin Flowers (from stash)
Pop Dots

First thing I did was find a nice embossing folder.  I think the Vine Pattern embossing folder can be used for many occasions.  I cut a panel (which, in my case is typically 1/4" smaller than the card base) out of black card and ran it through my Big Shot to emboss it.  I also ran some scrap white card through,
Some Dimension
matching the pattern, but you can barely see it (tip: die cut your cardstock before you dry emboss it!)  Once the cardstock was embossed, I set the black panel aside to figure out how I was going to make the fishtail I needed to coordinate with the sketch.  I envy the people who can cut evenly using hand held scissors, or who can figure out how to turn cardstock the correct way and then use their cutter; I can do neither.  But, a light bulb went off in my head; if I could find a square that matched up with the width of the piece of paper I wished to fishtail, I could do it with the die cut.  Lucky for me I had just purchased the Stitched Nesting Squares, so I set about lining the card and the square up and it worked! I have taken pictures of the process:


Step One: Align the square with the ends of your paper.  The ends of the die should go over the ends just a little bit to accommodate the space around the die cut.  I use temporary tape to keep my dies in place; I did this long before washi tape came out and it's cheaper.  If you look closely you can still see a bit of the dry embossing.




And there you go! A perfect fishtail! Also, note that the stitches in the die aren't a problem; they appear on the cut out, not the base. Now, just peel off the tape and put your die away.  I hope, between my explanation and the pictures, the process makes sense.


After I handled the fishtail (I am SO proud, can you tell?) I moved on to the sentiment of the card.  I embossed "So Sorry" using detail white embossing powder.  I die cut it, attached the 2 white resin flowers, and pop dotted it onto the banner.  I then attached the banner onto the embossed panel of black cardstock.  There you have it.  A simple sympathy card.  Before I go I wanted to share the card I received from Lucille

How cute is that! She had known of my love of cats and I adore the card! Just click her name and it will take you to her blog.  Also, today is Reveal Day - don't forget to go to the Card Chain Challenge website to see all the glorious cards
Another Peek
that were sent all around the world!


I hope you have a great day and will come back to see me soon ~ Fondly, Christi 


I am entering my Sympathy Cards in the following challenges:
Word Art Wednesday - Anything Goes
Crafting When we Can - #43, C A S
Brown Sugar - #248, No Image, Just a Sentiment
Crafty Catz - #368, Anything Goes
Deep Ocean - #154, Anything Goes

7 comments:

  1. Love your card, sure to bring comfort you its recipient. Cara x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your card is beautiful and I'm sure Christy appreciated your sending it very much. I am SO impressed with how you created the fishtail - I wish I'd thought of that as I just couldn't cut one free-hand and gave up! Love the cat card from Lucille... I want that stamp so much I think I'll burst! Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cute!!! Thank you for joining us at CWWC, good luck!!! Amy DT

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful card! I love how you used the square die to make the banner! Thank you for joining us at Brown Sugar Challenges.
    -Miranda DT
    TheCraftyCritter.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful card and thanks for sharing at crafty catz this week and good luck in the draw hope to see in our new challenge starting Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice! Thanks for playing at Crafting When We Can!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments! I read each and every one :)