Followers

Friday, January 30, 2015

Shabby Chic Valentine

In my quest to use my stash, I have had a both of the papers featured on this card for a while but this project is the first time I have used them on anything.  I adore DCWV paper stacks and on this card I used Burlap Paper and Adhesive Fabric Paper in Pink.  Not my usual style, but it was fun trying out some new textures and color combinations. 

What I Used to make my Card:
Vanilla Card Base
Scrap of Vanilla Cardstock
DCWV Adhesive Fabric Paper in Pink, 12 x 12
DCWV Burlap Paper, 6 x 6
Happy Valentine's Day rubber stamp (manufacturer unknown)
Brads from Making Memories
Distress Ink in Victorian Velvet
Wendy Vecchi Ink in Potting Soil
Silhouette Cameo
Cut File - Heart

The Fabric Paper from DCWV
I wanted to create something old fashioned-looking, sort of shabby chic if you will.  I started the card by choosing the 2 papers. I have never worked with either of these papers, and I was surprised that the burlap paper is truly burlap, but it is much easier to use.  I got out my sheet of burlap (they are only 6 x 6) and cut it to fit on the top of the card so it appeared that the entire card was made out of burlap (but don't attach it to the card yet!). I edged the burlap panel with the Wendy Vecchi's ink in Potting Soil to give it some oomph. I went to my Silhouette machine and found a heart, sized it down to fit
Close up of the Heart
on the card, and cut it out of the fabric paper.  That was an experience since I didn't know which setting to use, but I settled on the light fabric setting and it cut out fine.  I thought I might have to help the fabric heart stick, since it was burlap, but it grabbed on with no problem! At this point the burlap is still not glued to the card, you still need to work with it.


Then I chose to stamp the sentiment on vanilla card instead of white, white just seemed so stark next to the warmth of the card.  I used Distress Ink in Victorian Velvet and I think it matches the colors in the heart perfectly! I also lightly edged the sentiment with the Potting Soil ink.  I decided to use brads to attach the sentiment to the card and I found these light green ones in my Making Memories brad stash - I usually use plain old silver or gold brads, but these sort of matched the green in the heart,  and the other colors were just too loud.  Once I added the sentiment to the card, I then glued the burlap panel to the front of the vanilla card.  I stepped out of my safety zone and I am so glad I did! Thanks for stopping by and please consider following me as I am on a quest to get 100 followers! Fondly, Christi
Another peek at the final card


I would like to enter my Shabby Chic Valentine in the following challenges:
Artistic Stamper - January Challenge, New Beginnings 
Die Cut Diva's - January Challenge, Anything Goes
Silhouette Challenges - January Challenge, Anything Goes
Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge - Anything Goes 
Shopping our Stash - #186, Love Me Do

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comments! I read each and every one :)