Followers

Tuesday, November 11, 2014

3D Challenge at Craft-Room Challenges



Wow how time flies!  Seems like just yesterday I hosted my very first challenge at Craft-Room Challenges and it’s already my turn again!  The theme I chose for challenge #89 is 3D.  My cousin flew out here to visit with my mom, my brother & me, and it just so happens that she was here for her birthday so I chose to make a Pop Up Box Card.  I try to only make cards that can actually be mailed and when this card is folded up it fits in an A2 envelope – I think that is so cool!! By the time you read this she will already be home & I have given her the card.  My cousin loved the card and we had so much fun talking about our crazy family!



Before we get started I want to clarify the challenge.  Your card, project, whatever MUST be 3D – pop dotting a flower on the front of your card does not make it 3D.  Please respect the challenge and make your creation easily identifiable as three dimensional.  Also, we are having quite a few entrants disregarding our challenge limit.  You are only allowed to enter 5 other challenges besides the Craft-Room Challenge, this is one of our new rules.   If we did not comment on your project that is because you have been disqualified.


This was the first time I attempted to make one of these cards and it was so much fun I know I will be using them more often!  The cut file I used was purchased at the Silhouette store and it was designed by Lori Whitlock; however, I do know most of the stores that sell cutfiles have the same type of card.  
The picture makes the card look lopsided (it's not) - I can't take another because the card is now in Florida.

What I Used to Make this Card:

Silhouette Cut File (the name of the file I used is "A2 Box Card: Birthday", designed by Lori Whitlock)
Silhouette Cameo
White Cardstock for Base (should be on the heavier side)
KaiserCraft Paper in Violet Crush
Plain Cardstock pieces that match the Violet Crush paper
Pop Dot (I used one that is about ¼” high)
Stampin’ Up! Simple Salutations stamp set




Since I can't explain how to make the card any better than the designer, here is a link to the tutorial that Lori Whitlock made, How to Assemble a Box Card (clicking on this link will take you to YouTube)



First I cut the base out of white cardstock and then cut out the decorative
All the peices of the card
panels.  I had to cut the base and panels twice because I glued the panels that were supposed to go on the outside to the inside (honestly, if everything I did went according to my plan, without a single mess up,  I’d be SO shocked) so you may want to mark the panels. 



Then I worked on the divider tab pieces. I assembled them prior to
View from the top




inserting them into the card.  I built my birthday cake and gift on right onto the divider tab itself.  I wanted to add a bit more oomph so I added another star to the star embellishment and pop dotted that to the backside of the first divider.



Lastly, I personalized the card by cutting another panel, stamping “happy birthday” on it, along with a little note and attached that to the front panel of the card.  You can see
that in the last picture of the card.  I really had fun and now that I know they aren't difficult to make my brain is swirling with fun ideas and ways to use this card.
And the final card with the Happy Birthday panel


I hope you enjoyed my mini-tutorial!  Please get creative and join us at Craft-Room Challenges, there are 2 whole weeks for you to enter and we'd love to see your 3D creations - Fondly, Christi


I am entering my 3D Birthday Card in the following challenges:
Craft Your Passion - #239, Starts with a "B" - my Birthday  
That Craft Place Challenge - Anything Goes
Sister Act - #82, Anything Goes

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comments! I read each and every one :)